This fiery sauce in one of my favourites. It is a delicate blend of fiery spices and condiments without which I am sure your Chinese cooking will be incomplete.
Preparation Time : 10 mins.
Cooking Time : 5 mins.
Makes 1 cup. For the paste
20 dry red chillies
¼ cup garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon green chillies, finely chopped
½ tablespoon ginger, grated
2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon celery, finely chopped
1 cup clear vegetable stock,
1 tablespoon cornflour mixed with 2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
a pinch Ajinomoto powder (optional)
3 tablespoons oil
salt to taste
For the paste
1. Boil 1 cup of water.
2. Add the dry red chillies and garlic and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool.
3. Drain out the water. Grind into a smooth paste in a liquidiser using a little water.
How to proceed
1. Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan and sauté the garlic, green chillies, ginger, onions and celery for 1 minute.
2. Add the paste and sauté again for 1 minute.
3. Add the stock and mix well. Add the cornflour mixture, vinegar, sugar, Ajinomoto and salt. Bring to a boil and keep aside.
4. Use as required.