Stress and Tension are normal reactions to events that threaten us. Such threats can come from accidents, financial troubles and problems on the job or with family.
The way we deal with these pressures has a lot to do with our mental, emotional and physical health.
The following are suggestions to get you started on managing the stress in your life. Resources to help you in each of the following areas are identified in this booklet.
01) Recognize your symptoms of stress
02) Look at your lifestyle and see what can be changed — in your work situation, your family situation, or your schedule
03) Use relaxation techniques – yoga, meditation, deep breathing, or massage
04) Exercise – Physical activity is one of the most effective stress remedies around!
05) Time management – Do essential tasks and prioritize the others. Consider those who may be affected by your decisions, such as family and friends. Use a check list so you will receive satisfaction as you check off each job as it is done
06) Watch your diet – Alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fats and tobacco all put a strain on your body’s ability to cope with stress. A diet with a balance of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and foods high in protein but low in fat will help create optimum health. Contact your local branch of the Heart and Stroke Foundation for further information about healthy eating
07) Get enough rest and sleep
08) Talk with others – Talk with friends, professional counsellors, support groups or relatives about what is bothering you
09) Help others – Volunteer work can be an effective and satisfying stress reducer
10) Get away for awhile – Read a book, watch a movie, play a game, listen to music or go on vacation. Leave yourself some time that’s just for you
11) Work off your anger – Get physically active, dig in the garden, start a project, get your spring cleaning done
12) Give in occasionally – Avoid quarrels whenever possible
13) Tackle one thing at a time – Don’t try to do too much at once.
14) Don’t try to be perfect
15) Ease up on criticism of others
16) Don’t be too competitive
17) Make the first move to be friendly
18) Have some fun!! Laugh and be with people you enjoy!