Kulfi is a frozen dessert, which all of us relish but often tend to avoid because of its high calorific value. Here is a simple yummy low fat kulfi that doesn’t take forever to prepare and provides substantial amounts of calcium without the fat. Enhance its appeal and vitamin C levels by serving it with a strawberry sauce.
Preparation Time : 10 mins.
Cooking Time : 40 mins.
Serves 6 Ingredients
1 litre low fat milk
1 teaspoon cornflour
6 teaspoons sugar
a few saffron strands
1/4 teaspoon cardamom (elaichi) powder
To be mixed together for the strawberry sauce
1/2 cup strawberry,crushed
4 teaspoons powdered sugar
1. In a small bowl, soak the saffron in a little warm milk and keep aside.
2. Dissolve the cornflour in 1 tablespoon of milk and keep aside.
3. Put the milk in a broad non-stick pan and bring to a boil. Simmer over a medium flame stirring continuously till the milk reduces to little more than half the original quantity (approx. 600 ml.).
4. Add the cornflour solution and sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Cool completely. Add the saffron mixture and cardamom powder and mix well.
6. Pour into shallow freezer proof containers and freeze till slushy (aprox. 3 to 4 hours).
7. Remove and blend in liquidiser to break all the ice crystals till the mixture is smooth and creamy.
8. Pour into 6 kulfi moulds and freeze overnight until it sets.
9. To unmould, allow the moulds to remain outside the refrigerator for 5 minutes and then unmould by inserting a wooden skewer stick or a fork in the centre of the kulfi and pulling it out.
10. Serve topped with the strawberry sauce.