Forget your worries of tooth decay with this colourful chenna pie….a dessert made healthy by loading it with calcium for stronger teeth.
Preparation Time : 15 mins.
Baking Time : 25 mins.
Cooking Time : 30 mins.
Baking Temperature : 200°C (400°F)
Makes 5 small pies. For the chenna mixture
1 litre milk
¼ tsp saffron
2 tbsp milk
juice of 1 lemon
2½ tbsp powdered sugar
½ tsp baking powder
For the apples
2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 tbsp sugar
For the topping
1 tbsp sliced almonds
¼ tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
1. Warm the saffron in a small vessel, add 4 tbsp of milk and rub until the saffron dissolves. Keep aside.
2. Heat the milk in a saucepan. When it comes to a boil, switch off the gas. Wait for a couple of minutes and then add the lemon juice.
3. When it curdles, drain and discard the whey.
4. Add the saffron mixture, powdered sugar and baking powder and blend in a mixer till smooth. Keep aside.
5. To proceed, arrange the apples in 5 ramekin moulds or any other small baking dishes and sprinkle the sugar on top.
6. Spread the chenna mixture evenly on the apple slices.
7. Bake in a hot oven at 200°C (400°F) for 20 minutes.
8. Sprinkle the almonds and cardamom powder on top.
9. Bake again for a few minutes. Serve hot