Brimming with the goodness of ragi (nachni), these vegetable-stuffed pancakes are a great substitute for calorie-laden snacks.
Cooking Time : 20 mins.
Preparation Time : 15 mins.
Makes 6 pancakes. For the pancakes
¾ cup whole ragi / nachni (red millet)
¼ cup rice flour (chawal ka atta)
Salt to taste
For the vegetable stuffing
¼ cup sliced spring onion whites
¼ cup chopped spring onion greens
½ cup shredded cabbage
½ cup bean sprouts
½ cup grated carrots
½ teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
½ teaspoon dry red chilli flakes
2 teaspoons chopped coriander
1 teaspoon oil
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon oil for cooking
For the pancakes
1. Soak the ragi in water overnight.
2. Wash, drain and grind to a smooth paste using a little water.
3. Add the rice flour and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
4. For the vegetable stuffing
5. Heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic, dry red chilli flakes and spring onion whites, and fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Add the cabbage, bean sprouts, carrots, spring onion greens, sugar and salt. Mix well and keep aside to cool.
How to proceed
1. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it with a little oil.
2. Spread an even layer of the batter to make a 125 mm. (5″) pancake.
3. Cook on both sides till golden brown, using a little oil.
4. Spread the stuffing on one side of the pancake.
5. Fold to make a semi-circle.
6. Repeat with the rest of the batter and stuffing to make 5 more pancakes. Serve hot.